Is it safe for me to take Citalopram with Tramadol?

mpvt 8 Apr 2010

No! You can't! The coadministration of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs, like Citalopram, Prozac, etc.) with tramadol, which has weak serotonin reuptake i inhibiting effect, may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyper stimulation of brain stem 5HT1A receptors... Hope this helps... Dave

stanley 43 8 Apr 2010

Thank you.

Delila 8 Apr 2010

I'm not disregarding your answer, but just wondered is it really this serious??

mpvt 8 Apr 2010

it can be! Did your doctor order both??

Delila 9 Apr 2010

Yes i still have access to repeat prescriptions of tramadol as i need them and started citalopram about 4 wks ago. My Dr did ask if i was taking tramadol still and i said not much and it wasn't really mentioned again. I certainly wasn't warned how dangerous taking both could be. Not good!

mpvt 9 Apr 2010

I guess it's one of those things were the doctor knows there is a very small chance of a reaction but knowing his patient he assumes the risk is minimal... Dave

stanley 43 9 Apr 2010

I am on both tramadol and citalopram and am very weiry now of taking them together,it is rather scary when reading about "serotonin syndrome" :/