Is it safe for an infant of 19 months to take hydrocodone/apap 7.5/500mg/15ml?

Anonymous 26 Nov 2011

No ma'am, it is not at all safe to give children opiates unless the pediatrician or other specialist deems it medically necessary. Do NOT give this to the baby. Patti

tiffmarrufo4 26 Nov 2011

thank you pattishan61!!! the doctor at the er did prescribe it for her but i really DO NOT LIKE the idea y 19month old taking this!

Anonymous 26 Nov 2011

Was it for pain or coughing, what is wrong with the baby?

tiffmarrufo4 26 Nov 2011

it was for staff infection on her right thigh, that she got after her doctor gave her her shots

pup6767 26 Nov 2011

Dear Tiff... if the ER doc gave this prescription to your baby he was very negligent. This is an adult dosage. Your baby could quit breathing on this dosage. Like patti said... DO NOT give your baby this unless HIS OWN pediatrician prescribes it... giving babies opiates is clearly not a good practice... sorry but this angers me quite a bit that an ER doc would give this to a baby... I hope your child feels better soon... ther are much safer cough remedies for a child...

Anonymous 26 Nov 2011

Pup, I agree completely, I was shocked. Thank God Mom had better sense than to give it to the baby. I wonder if the dr meant to give this to an adult in another room and somehow the adult ended up with baby's rx. This was inexcusable tho, I shudder to think what would have happened. If baby was having this much trouble, say with RSV, then baby should have been admitted to the hospital.

pup6767 26 Nov 2011

Dittos patti... I mean where are the checks and balances here... even if the ER physician... which I think this HAD to be an error... but the pharmacist should have then questioned the dose for a child of that age. This is a very thing that could have happened... hoy vey...

Anonymous 26 Nov 2011

I really think the mom should report this to the er manager or lead dr, this could have been tragic.

pup6767 26 Nov 2011

I agree 100%... also she should go to the pharmacist IF she had the script filled and ask why he/she did not catch it...

Anonymous 26 Nov 2011

Yep, wonder if pharmacist knew it was for a baby tho.