Can a doctor to perscribe xanax for,panic attacks and also perscribe valium for anxiety?

Rajive Goel 12 Nov 2011

Yes its quite possible, both meds taken together do not have nay kind of reactions and since the doc has prescribed them he/she would have well surveyed your medical condition before doing so.

Take care, best wishes!

sagelee 12 Nov 2011

a doctor will not give you both. and if they do, you only get like 10 with the xanax cause thy r both in the same family.

femmy 13 Nov 2011

I have been prescribed both in the past by my psychiatrist. She told me to never take both of them at the same time. The valium was to be used at night for sleep and the xanax during the day for panic attacks. One day I took them too close together as I had a late day panic attack and then took a valium an hour later for sleep and I got a paradoxal reaction. My anxiety shot up and I got another panic attack.

Xanax and Valium are in the same class of benzodiazepines BUT they act on anxiety and panic differently and you may get the opposite result if you take them together and for me that was very scary.

So a doctor can prescribe both but will probably advise to never mix the two.

femmy