Clonazepam is a prescription medication approved to treat the following conditions:
* Epileptic seizures, particularly the following types of seizures:
- Seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (a severe form of epilepsy)
- Akinetic seizures (also known as atonic seizures), which are characterized by a sudden loss of muscle tone, causing "drop attacks"
- Myoclonic seizures, which are characterized by sudden, brief muscle jerks
- Absence seizures, which are characterized by brief periods of decreased awareness or "spacing out."
* Panic disorder.
For sleeping help, please seek advice from the doc/pharmacist, take care, be safe & well.
To start, I'm not a doctor, and only basing this on personal experience. Clonazepam may not necessarily be the right drug specifically for sleep. However, I take clonazepam as needed for anxiety disorder and it knocks me out cold. I usually try to refrain from taking it until late morning because of this unless absolutely needed. Given my usual "as needed" dose at around 1100, I start feeling the calming/relaxing effects about 10-30 min later. After the first hour I begin losing all motivation, but in a sort of good way if that makes sense. After getting home and going through my evening routine, 4:00-8:00, drowsiness increases more and more, and sleep comes almost immediately after I turn off the TV while laying in bed. I must mention, this is with a .25-.5mg dose, and I also take 20mg of lexapro @ 8:00pm and 30mg of adderall xr @ 4:00am when I get up in the morning. Having said all this, the difference in the mornings after taking clonazepam and the mornings after having not taken it is quite noticeable. There's definitely a more groggy and sluggish start the morning after a dose. I know this wasn't a specific answer, but hopefully my timeline will help find it for you. Everyone's different and/or more sensitive to drugs than the next. I went through a lot of trial and error while struggling to get a good nights sleep. From Herbals to ambient and everything in between. I wish you luck in your quest for sleep.
- Clonazepam Information for Consumers
- Clonazepam Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Clonazepam (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 28 Apr 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 16 Oct 2011 • 2 answers
Posted 31 Jul 2015 • 4 answers
Posted 20 Feb 2016 • 1 answer
Posted 30 Sep 2017 • 2 answers