Is azathioprine 50 mg twice in a day safe for child of 9 year.
The dose of azathioprine (Imuran) a doc recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
* The medical condition being treated
* How the body responds to azathioprine
* The weight
* Other medical conditions you may have
* Other medications you may be currently taking.
The recommended starting dose of azathioprine for preventing kidney transplant rejection is azathioprine 3mg to 5mg per kg (about 1.4mg to 2.3mg per pound) once daily, starting the day of (or sometimes a few days before) the transplant. The doc may decrease the dose to 1mg to 3mg per kg (about 0.45 mg to 1.4 mg per pound) once daily if one is doing well.
The recommended starting dose for rheumatoid arthritis treatment is azathioprine 1mg per kg (about 0.45mg per pound) per day, usually between 50mg to 100mg per day. It can be taken once daily or split up into two doses per day. After eight weeks, the doc may increase the azathioprine dosage, if necessary.
Hope the info helps?
- Azathioprine Information for Consumers
- Azathioprine Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Azathioprine (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 18 Mar 2011 • 1 answer
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus - Does anyone mind telling me how they were diagnosed. I just went for?
Posted 1 Oct 2011 • 5 answers
Posted 3 Aug 2012 • 9 answers
Posted 18 Aug 2013 • 5 answers
Posted 6 Nov 2015 • 2 answers