Is ativan a narcotic?

pup6767 14 Oct 2011

Mvolpe... no, Ativan is not a narcotic. It is classified as a benzodiazepine which is a tranquilizer. Some folks consider the word "narcotic" synonymous w/ any mind altering substance. I think of the word "narcotic" as strictly an opiate for which Ativan is not. Ativan is a sedating drug so please do not drive or do anything that needs u to b alert. I hope this helps. Pup

DzooBaby 14 Oct 2011

Pup is right. It depends on how you define narcotic. Narcotic is more of a law enforcement word than a medical one. As pup said, it is a benzodiazepine. It is subject to the Controlled Substance Act (some people feel this defines narcotic) I believe it is a schedule 4 drug which is a lower abuse potential drug classification. It belongs to a group of drugs called anxiolytics which just means it is given for anxiety. To many, narcotic means anything derived from poppies or synthetically made to be chemically similar to these drugs (opiates or opioids) like morphine, codeine, heroin etc (which Ativan is not at all related to any opiates) Some feel it is any drug that alters consciousness and some feel narcotics refer to anything that is a controlled substance (which is closer to what law enforcement believes) So it is all in how you define narcotic. I hope this helped more than it confused you! lol