Is Ativan 100% effective in controlling any PTSD symptoms?

Psychmajor 24 Jan 2010

i hope you are doing psychotherapy with this... and it depends on the person... each benzo works differently for people but usually eventually people find the right one and it helps (not cures) the symptoms

-ps i have panic disorder w/ agoraphobia not PTSD

teal 25 Jan 2010

psychmajor is right,and when he mentioned panic disorder,that was what i was going to write,my mother was given this for panic disorder,so i assumed that was what ativan was for,my friend too was given this for panic. i know that wasnt any help,i was just saying that i thought the drug was for anxiety/panic. look it up and find all you can about it,and like psymajor said,therapy along with meds is very helpful. hope you get relief. I too have ptsd,and im on xanax,so maybe it helps with that,because ptsd causes me alot of anxiety along with depression,which i also take an anti depressant,do they have you on any anti depressants along with the ativan?

teal 25 Jan 2010

oh,and you mentioned 100%,not to be negative,because im sure lots of ppl have,but i have yet to find anything that "cured" me per say 100%. therapy really helps,but it's not for everyone either,but usually with that combo of meds and therapy works best. here is some info on ativan:
Ativan is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.

Ativan is used to treat anxiety disorders.Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
confusion, depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;

hyperactivity, agitation, hostility;

hallucinations; or

feeling light-headed, fainting.

Less serious side effects may include: