Is ambien considered a narcotic..have to take drug test will it show up?

annatfultz 31 Aug 2011

Good morning! I used to be prescribed ambien, a.d now I am prescribed ambien CR, and I can assure u neither one are narcotic, and neither show on drug tests. I think I asked the same question when I first got prescribed ambien. I think that particular question is what introduced me to this wonderful support group and great group of friends and fam I have gotten know. Good luck, but u will be fine.

KelliG71 2 Oct 2011

Ambien is considered a controlled substance. I'm also on Xanax which is controlled as well. I do remember Xanax came up can't remember if Ambien does.

Ambien provided the following information*. Once you are on the site (see the link below), scroll down until you find the Patient Counseling Information. Under "What is Ambien?", you will find a box with this information.
Here is the link:
https://www.drugs.com/pro/ambien.html#S9.2
Here is the information about AMBIEN:
*"Ambien is a federally controlled substance (C-IV) because it can be abused or lead to dependence. Keep Ambien in a safe place to prevent misuse and abuse. Selling or giving away Ambien may harm others, and is against the law. Tell your healthcare provider if you have ever abused or have been dependent on alcohol, prescription medicines or street drugs."