Is aleve good for polymyalgia rheumatica?? Thank you?

STGalbraith 24 Jun 2011

When my pain first started, later diagnosed to be polymyagia, I tried taking everything to relieve the pain. I tried Aleve... it did not good, no relief at all. When I was diagnosed with PMR, the rhuematologist perscribed prednisone and the pain was gone within two days... in researching the internet, one of the symptoms of PMR is how quickly it responds to prednisone. Good luck.

chinadoll78 28 Jan 2012

For me Aleve,Tylenol nor Ibuprofen is not strong enough for the pain of Polymyalgia Rheumatica. It takes a prescription pain medicine to even take the "edge" off the pain. I was diagnosed with PR Sept 2010. My doctor started me on 40 mg of prednisone for several weeks and then gradually did a step-down until I was on 2 1/2 mg . It took 14 month to get down to 2 1/2 mg.
I was on Darvocet for the pain and then when it was pulled off the market I was put on Tramadol. In Nov of 2011, I stopped taking the Pred. (because I was feeling so much better) using the Tramadol only. Within days the aching and stiffness of the PR was back with full force. I "suffered" for 3 month, couldn't take it any longer. Doctor put me back on pred. Within 2 1/2 days I was feeling well enough to do most of my housework. I am still on pred. and Tramadol at this time. Prednisone is not expensive at all so for all that has PR please don't try to get thru this painful situation without medical help. My doctor says the good thing about PR is that it will go away in time but that each person is different so the time limit varies.