Is 70 mg too high a dose for a fifty pound 7 year old boy?

DzooBaby 14 Jul 2011

Here is the info I found for dosing Vyvanase:
Dosage should be individualized according to the therapeutic needs and response of the patient. Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) should be administered at the lowest effective dosage.

In patients who are either starting treatment for the first time or switching from another medication, 30 mg once daily in the morning is the recommended dose. If the decision is made in the judgment of the clinician to increase the dose beyond 30 mg/day, daily dosage may be adjusted in increments of 10 mg or 20 mg at approximately weekly intervals. The maximum recommended dose is 70 mg/day; doses greater than 70 mg/day of Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) have not been studied. Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) has not been studied in children under 6 years of age.

So he is on the largest recommended dose. If this dose doesnt work for him then you might want to look into another drug for him. My son has always taken Concerta. He is 16 and takes 36mg and has been holding at this dose since he was quite young. He was 7 when he started meds for ADHD too. I think he started at 28mg first (if I remember right) We were lucky and hit on the right drug right away. Do you notice any difference with your son when he takes the medicine? I knew right away giving my boy the meds and his Dr said if it is truly ADHD then we would see a difference right away and I did. Within hours of the first dose life was much more peaceful! If he doesnt seem to be responding at all then he either needs a different med or he has something other than just ADHD. ADHD can often be combined with Oppositional Defiance Disorder and the ADHD meds dont work as well in these children. I found a lot of helpful info on the CHADD website.

Anonymous 14 Jul 2011

Surely they didn't start him out at 70mg??? I would like to know if you don't mind.

Rajive Goel 14 Jul 2011

Von,

he recommended starting Vyvanse dose for treating ADHD in adults, adolescents, and children age 6 to 12 years old is Vyvanse 30mg once daily in the morning. The doc may increase the dose as necessary to control the ADHD symptoms, up to a maximum of Vyvanse 70mg once daily in the morning.

Rajive

Anonymous 14 Jul 2011

rajive, i may have misunderstood. I wondered if they started him out at 70mg, which I know you can go to that dose, but I thought all doc like you said start out at the 30mg and then go up. That was my question, I may not have said it right. You are right about they way they dose it. Sorry if I misunderstood, I was concerned they started him out at 70mg, not the 30mg to begin with. I hope I said all that right. I do understand and I agree with you, Thanks Von

DzooBaby 14 Jul 2011

I, too, wondered the same thing Von! I would hope this isnt a starting dose. It would be a very high starting dose. the poster didnt indicate whether it was a starting dose or if they have workked up to it.

DzooBaby 14 Jul 2011

OOps-sorry for all the typos above! lol

Anonymous 14 Jul 2011

Dzoo, yeah that was me I didn't understand the starting dose. Maybe she will come back and tell us. One of my best friends is a Rep for the company who make Vyvance. Von

Rajive Goel 15 Jul 2011

Its fine Von, you take care, please & be well...

Rajive