Tonsillitis Treatment - Self-Care at Home
* Throat pain and fever may be improved with over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen (Advil,) or acetaminophen (Tylenol).
* Ease sore throat pain by gargling frequently with warm salt water (8 ounces of warm water mixed with 1 teaspoon salt).
* Drink plenty of clear liquids to avoid dehydration.
* Because most sore throats are caused by viruses, antibiotics are not routinely needed. However, penicillin is the most commonly prescribed class of antibiotics.
o The medication may be given as a single-dose injection (a shot) or may be provided as a prescription for oral antibiotics (pills taken by mouth).
o People who are allergic to penicillin may be treated with erythromycin. Treatment with oral antibiotics may be provided for 10-14 days.
o It is important to complete all the pills prescribed, even if symptoms go away and you feel better. Completion of the full course of antibiotics prevents the serious complication of rheumatic fever that may result in a form of heart disease.
* Gargling with warm salt water (8 ounces of warm water mixed with 1 teaspoon salt) will ease sore throat pain. Gargle several times a day.
Would however recommend to speak to a specialist doc/pharmacist, hope the info helps?
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 15 Apr 2014 • 2 answers
Posted 6 Jun 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 3 Jul 2014 • 2 answers
Posted 25 Apr 2015 • 1 answer
I started taking azithromycin yesterday. How long will it take to cure my streptococcal pharyngitis?
Posted 1 day 15 hours ago • 0 answers