Impramine/tofranil is anyone in the group taking this anti depressant?

Fulvous 8 Oct 2015

I just started it a few days ago. So far it has not been nearly as sedating as amitriptyline was. I may actually start taking it in the morning instead of at bedtime. If you'd like I can check back now and then and let you know how it's going.

manager5 9 Oct 2015

Dear Fulvous,

Please check back and let me know... just to compare notes. Is this your first time with this drug?

Fulvous 9 Oct 2015

Yes, it's my first time with imipramine. I've taken amitriptyline before, but found it was far too sedating to function normally during the day. I've also tried nortriptyline, but couldn't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours a night while taking it. I'm hoping imipramine will be somewhere between those two. All of them have seemed to help with my mood, though.

Fulvous 10 Nov 2015

Hey, just checking back in to let you know how things have been going with imipramine. I titrated very slowly up to 75 mg nightly; I only started taking 100 mg nightly last week. So in total I've been on it for over a month, but I've only started taking the 'effective' dose four nights ago. I take it around 8:00 PM, two hours before I'm usually in bed. It does help me sleep, although I often wake at 5:00 or 5:30, then go back to sleep. The side effects are much more tolerable for me than they were with nortriptyline or amitriptyline. The dry mouth isn't that bad, my appetite seems normal, and the sexual dysfunction is very minimal (some loss of sensitivity when approaching orgasm). The only side effect that is challenging is constipation. I've been trying several strategies, but since increasing the dosage to 75 mg a few weeks ago I have not had regular/daily bowel movements. I've only noticed a shift in my mood over the last few days.

Aminmaluf 28 Dec 2015

I started take tofranil 150 mg, 40years ago, New, Itake 200mg tofranil. This drug answer me, but İt isn't same effective. I essayed other drugs, I had more side effects and, I continue to take tofranil.

manager5 30 Dec 2015

I started about 40 years ago with this drug also. I find it to be effective in relieving my anxiety and depression... however I am only taking 60 mg. now. I find relief at this dosage. The side effects are not so severe. I take laxaclear for the constipation... I purchase it from Amazon and it really helps. Keep on trucking... Manager 5

davidgline 1 Nov 2017

I was put on the medice in 1977 by a psychiatrist (my cousin) who was educated in Germany. He was aware that it boosted your immune system significantly. I had been getting ill with cold/flu type symptoms and it happened 4 times for over a week in 1 year. I didn’t believe him, but went on 150 mg. It is important that I find anyone else with the same situation. I have not had to type symptoms since then. 40 years! Can anyone comment on similar effects?

Beautiful63 11 Jul 2017

Yes I do... AND I found the original Tofranil instead of the generic garbage they are selling now. See other posts for information and manufacture (Mallinckrodt) great customer service and can give you information about assistance in paying if you qualify. "Brand" name Tofranil is one of the best tricyclics and one the few left. (old school) antidepressants out there. Comes in many MG's so easy to taper down if you need or want to. PM version is the only one if the originals that is no longer available. Not trying to oversell but it is the only one that has ever helped me. I take the 10mg. Just enough. Your doc HAS to order "brand only" on the prescription or you will get the generic. I had horrible side effects from the generic. My insurance actually approved a co-pay. Brand Tofranil can be expensive!!!

Beautiful63 16 Jul 2017

Just realized that Tofranil has polyelethalene gycol as one of the ingredients. That is drivitive of anti freeze. So many drugs, food and cosmetics also include this. Look it up. I wish they could just make these drugs with as few ingredients as possible. I don't know for sure but generic probably has it too. Tylenol sleepease also contains polyethylene gycol. Not good. Seems like everything has it in the ingredients. Ug