If opiates like er morphine 30 mg w/ methadone for breakthru doesn't work, could demerol?

Buddy1971 24 Jan 2012

It could but just increasing the dose of morphine is a better choice since it's a stronger drug. Maybe 1 30 morphine I.R & a 15 morphine I.R might do the trick,if not hey Demerol is just another opiate & maybe your body will respond better you never know? Just be carefull not to take to much,but if 30 isn't working I doubt 15mg more would put you over the edge but that's a doctors job. Good luck.

DzooBaby 24 Jan 2012

Demerol (Meperadine)is not a good choice for chronic pain. Meperidine should only be used in the treatment of acute episodes of moderate to severe pain. Prolonged meperidine use may increase the risk of toxicity (e.g. seizures) from the accumulation of the meperidine metabolite, normeperidine.

Anonymous 24 Jan 2012

Thank you for the info.