If I take bupropion in the a.m. can I have 1-2 drinks of alcohol at night?

LaurieShay 10 Mar 2011

Hey navygirl,

While it is not recommended that you drink alcohol when taking an antidepressant, if you can stick to one or two you should be alright. If your tendency is to drink more than that, I would stay away from it as alcohol is a depressant.

This is what the literature says about the use of these two:

bupropion ↔ ethanol
Applies to: bupropion, Alcohol (contained in alcoholic beverages) (ethanol)

GENERALLY AVOID: Excessive use or abrupt discontinuation of alcohol after chronic ingestion may precipitate seizures in patients receiving bupropion. Additionally, there have been rare post-marketing reports of adverse neuropsychiatric events or reduced alcohol tolerance in patients who drank alcohol during treatment with bupropion. According to one forensic report, a patient died after taking large doses of both bupropion and alcohol. It is uncertain whether a drug interaction was involved. Single-dose studies in healthy volunteers given bupropion and alcohol failed to demonstrate either a significant pharmacokinetic or pharmacodynamic interaction.

MANAGEMENT: The manufacturer recommends that alcohol consumption be minimized or avoided during bupropion treatment. The use of bupropion is contraindicated in patients undergoing abrupt discontinuation of alcohol.

So the choice is yours as you know what your consumption amount is likely to be. Hope this helps,

Laurie

navygirl1 10 Mar 2011

thanks

caringsonbj 10 Mar 2011

Hey Navygirl
I have to agree with Laurie, I take multiple medications and if I were just on one then I just don't think it is a good idea to drink alcohol, some people react differently and the medication might not have the same effect so my advice to you is just leave alcohol totaly alone while taking medication, if however you feel that this is something you feel strongly about then before I did this I would first discuss this with the doctor, You take good care,