If I enter a rehab center for painkiller addiction will they make me stop cold turkey?

Paul Izzy 2 Mar 2011

Depends on what you are taking and how much you are taking and how often you are taking it. Short story, probably not...

caringsonbj 2 Mar 2011

I would think that they will give you something to take the edge off of withdrawl from the medications and of course that will depend on what you are addicted to and how long you have been taking it, But I think you will find that they will do everything they can to make this process as comfortable as it can be. I admire your decision and hope that you do go, I think you will be happy because they have support there that is not always available on the outside, Please take care

oxyaaron 2 Mar 2011

it depends on where you go when i entered rehab they used neurontin,remeron,klonopin and suboxone and it stopped all withdrawls and i still take all those except the sub.

Delila 17 Mar 2011

Hi i went in to rehab, one of the reasons i was there was painkiller addiction. Mine was tramadol. As previously written, it will depend what you are taking and how long you have been taking it, also if there is a history of other substance abuse, i.e. alcohol, illegal drugs? I was weaned off the tablets gradually and was supplemented with librium to take the edge off the withdrawal effects. The rehab i went to was in South Africa, so i can't say that all treatment facilities will work the same way. The way i came off was quite smooth and effective. It is very unlikely you be stopped cold turkey. Unless you are in immediate danger of organ failure for example. Good luck.