I was just diagnosed with Gastroparesis, any suggestions on diet etc. Thanks?

Anonymous 6 May 2011

I feel your pain. I was diagnosed four years ago. I have nausea 24/7 no matter what I eat. My doctor sent me to a diet professional at my hospital. She told me to eat soft foods like puddings, yogurt etc. No fresh fruit or vegetables. Nothing with seeds in it and definitely no more salads. Your digestive tract cannot handle these type of foods because it takes so long to digest. Sometimes days at a time. Have tried about every medication that is out there and nothing helps. I take two different kinds of nausea meds every day at least every 4-6 hours. My doctor says there is no cure for this condition. Good Luck.

shawnfondren 21 Oct 2011

What you wrote sounds just like me. I just got a J tube. and problems ever since. If iI put milk in the feeding tube, I throw up. I am eating regular food and drinking and not throwing up. The Drs. are puzzled. I was waiting on the pacemaker to find a Dr. that will take my insurance. It is a mess. I have been sick with this like 2 or 3 years before being diagnosed.

Law4 22 May 2011

I signed up just to respond to your question hoping that my suggestions might help you out. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and I found that cutting caffeine out of my diet completely really helped with my constant nausea. The other thing that I have done is to limit my solid food intake. I will usually have an Ensure shake for breakfast (vanilla is the best) and then eating small snacks every couple hours. This was allowing me to eat a pretty normal dinner. There are things I stay away from like broccoli and chips and crackers like Cheez It's. I think you just have to figure out what your triggers are. The elimination of caffeine changed my life though so I would suggest to try that right away. Good luck!

Heykid 24 Jul 2011

Hi I have had gastroparesis for about 6 months. You should try
low fat low fiber foods. These consist of primarily carbs. Cereal like
special K, eggs, white bread, pancakes, pastas, puddings, chicken maybe
2oz at a time. Stay away from red meat, raw veggies, fruits with skin, anything with seeds nuts dried fruits those kinds of things. Peanut butters are good, bananas apple sauce. Look up livingwellwithgastroparesis.com and find Crystal Saltrelli and she has a lot of good information on food and receipes. Hope you find this helpful.

Scorpio13 16 Aug 2011

I've had diabetic Gastroparesis for about ten years now and have found though trial and error what foods work for me and what foods trigger it. I too have omitted coffee as one food that triggers it. Also like others have mentioned meat and potato chips. I find the higher the fat content of a food the more it triggers the Gastroparesis. So I try to read the labels on most foods I buy. Try to find foods that have less fat. Try things like rice and foods that are bland... I don't get as nauseated when I eat foods with less fat. I too take nausea meds everyday, at least twice a day, for about the last 7-8 years now. Without them I would surely be in the bathroom sick for most of the day. Also ensure plus and soups are good to try. Keep your meals small and frequent throughout the day. Eventually you will figure out what foods, and how much of a food you can tolerate. Myself, I can still eat salads and fresh fruit and veggies, but it's different for every one... trial and error is the best... at least that's my experience . Good luck..

Anonymous 16 Aug 2011

Thank you for this info. What nausea meds do you take? I can't tolerate any salads or fresh fruit & veggies. I sometimes crave a big salad but it's not worth eating it. Yesterday I cooked fresh green beans with red potatoes in it because my husband had been begging me to fix this. I ate one helping and was sick the rest of the night. This condition sucks at times.

Scorpio13 17 Aug 2011

I take a few different nausea meds, the main one being Gravol, as I find it works the best for me... but I have to take two 50mg tablets. Also, I take Metoclopramide(Maxeran), Cessamet(Nabilone) if it's real bad and Ondansetron..the last one is actually meant for cancer patients going through Kemo. I usually only need the first two, I take them regularly. If I find I can't hold anything down I have to resort to Gravol suppositories. Not sure if any of this is helpful to you , but those are the meds my Dr has me on for nausea. ;)