I want to ask you, my wife has lupus, and now she takes prednisone 5 mg per day, is it safe?

BetsyBee 26 May 2011

Hi. Prednisone can have lots of different side effects, and I think drugs.com, webmd.com and the mayo clinic website are all good places to look for information. This is the first support group I have actually found, though. It's great that you are supporting your wife! Weight gain and mood changes are some of the biggest side effects of Prednisone, but that can depend on the amount she takes. Bruising can also happen more easily. Is she in a lupus support group? There is probably a link on this page, or you might be able to find one by googling the lupus foundation. Good luck to you both!

texasjanie 27 May 2011

I have been on 10 mg of predisone every day for 2 years and more in dose pack type therapy for flares for 7 years. It does effect me like "speed" at high doses (40-80 mg) and the long term effects can be scary sounding but it really controls my symptoms and the side effects are much less than the stronger drugs. Good luck to both of you.