I take 17.5 mg of methotrexate once a week. Can I have an occassional glass of wine?

Anonymous 11 Aug 2010

Avoid drinking alcohol, while you are taking any medication.

Take care.-

bacterial 13 Aug 2010

Hi selvaggm

I would say it depends on how occasional, but it is better to avoid alcohol completely while taking Methotrexate, which can cause liver damage on its own and alcohol could make liver damage more likely.

I've been on Methotrexate for over a year, and have been monitored monthly with blood tests, including a test for liver function. I've abstained from alcohol and have had no problems so far, but I have now heard from my GP that at some stage I may need a further test, to see if there is any hardening of the liver. There are warnings on the packaging about the danger of alcohol with the Methotrexate, so its best to avoid it completely.

Hope this helps you with your question.

Best wishes bacterial

szs 4 Sep 2010

My doctor recommended absolutely NO
alcohol while taking metho.

jane3 25 Sep 2010

Hi, I've been on Methotrexate for nearly a year now and my Rheumatologist says it's OK to drink very moderately. I still enjoy the occasional glass of bubbly. According to the Rheumatology website, 2-3 glasses of wine a week are not shown to cause any harm. I have regular 9-week blood tests and all have been fine so far.