I need to know what other pain pills are eqevilent to Fenanyl?

DzooBaby 13 Apr 2011

There really arent any pills the equivelent of Fentanyl but the closest thing would be a long acting drug like MS Contin, OxyContin, Kadian or Avinza and methadone. These are all drugs that are longer lasting but none last as long as a Fentanyl patch. There are the Fentanyl transmucosal lozenges and "lollipops"-Actiq and Fentora. They are generally used only in cancer patients but PM docs sometimes use them.

cantgetdiagnosed84 13 Apr 2011

Yeah fentanyl patch last the longest. It is more constant in your system. I just switched from fentanyl to methadone. Not saying you should do. I've been on fentanyl for 4 years and it was time for a change. I've been on everything that bzoobaby listed except oxycontin. It comes down to what works best in your system and how your body reacts to it.

KevinBone 13 Apr 2011

I don't know if you're specifically looking for a pill, but the FDA just approved a patch called Buprenorphine.which comes in multiple strengths, is supposed to be less irritating to the skin and lasts about a week. The only real equivalent in a pill is Morphine Sulfate. You can go from barely tell you took it to infinity (there is no max on morphine). The pills are smaller, easy to swallow, act as quickly as any oral analgesic and comes with the standard opioid side effects. There's also a lot of do not use with ... You can get fentanyl as a lollipop if it's just the patch thing that bugs you. Personally I'd love to wake up in the morning at anything 6 or below. The best thing about opioids that most people forget is that they are the safest medication available. As long as you don't overdose, you'll be fine forever. No damage to liver, kidneys, lungs or other organs.

DzooBaby 13 Apr 2011

Drs are not compensated for prescribing certain meds. That is illegal and they can lose their license to practice for that! Unless you count pens, pads of paper and little gadgets with the drug name on them "spiffs" Drug reps come through and give Drs samples and tell them why their drug is the best on the market but Drs dont get kickbacks! Years ago they did but that has been illegal for quite some time!!

KevinBone 13 Apr 2011

And you add greens fees,hotel rooms as conventions, air fare, lunches, etc. etc. That's compensation. Each script is tracked by doctor.

DzooBaby 13 Apr 2011

lunches yes. No hotels, greens fees, air fares etc. There is a limit to the money spent on these gifts and it is small. If you can get air fare less than 50 bucks let me know where you are getting prices like that! Because that is about the limit that can be spent by one drug company per Dr office!

cantgetdiagnosed84 13 Apr 2011

Who cares about that. That's all jacked up getting kickbacks in the past but it comes down what is best for you and your health. The question wasn't do doctors profit off of what they give you.

DzooBaby 13 Apr 2011

Sorry, it just bugs me when someone says something like that, that is so blatently untrue. You are right. It just hit a nerve. He is not alone in his thoughts. A lot of people think Drs get kickbacks for prescribing certain drugs and it is not true!!

cantgetdiagnosed84 13 Apr 2011

Your good. I understand. I'm still trying to find out if switching to methadone is a good idea. Any thoughts?

DzooBaby 13 Apr 2011

Is it still working for you? If so, there is a saying "If it aint broke, dont fix it!" If it is not working anymore than you might look at something else. One thing I do know is that Methadone is very hard to come off of. Even when people change to another long acting drug they have withdrawals from the methadone. I had one PM doc who would not prescribe it unless it was a very last resort. You might talk to Pattishan, she has had experience with Methadone I think. Post it as a question and you will get responses from those with more personal experience with Methadone than I have. I tried it for a couple of weeks and couldnt take the stuff due to nausea and a terrific headache. The nausea went away after a few days but the headache was unbearable!

cantgetdiagnosed84 14 Apr 2011

sadly it is the last resort. Anything related to morphine as far as the way it metabolizes shuts my kidneys down. Fentanyl is different just enough not to do that. Went from morphine to fentanyl to morphine to opana to fentanyl and years later now it just isn't working. Talk to who?

FibroAlpha 14 Apr 2011

Fentynal and another you mentioned demoral are meparadines, I cant get back to your post but you mentioned you had some success with demerol (if memory serves, perhaps the meperadines are your best receptors. I'm a newbie here don't know your dxs heve you tried the aforementioned Nubain (Nalbuphine HCl) After all had failed (and I do mean all) mild little Nalbuphine saved the day, sort of.

I saw mentioned Methadone, all probably know but I like to tell it, developed by the NAZIs WWII, not really in the form we get in the US, you can get "real stuff" (or you could) in Germany. WWII, blow your arm off, take a hit of methadone go merrily back to battle using severed limb as club.