I have to take vicodine every day for pain . my doctor prescribe me xan is it safe?

Anonymous 25 Dec 2010

Hello nita,

Interactions between your selected drugs

alprazolam ↔ hydrocodone
Applies to: Xanax (alprazolam), Vicodin (acetaminophen/hydrocodone)
MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with

jk13 25 Dec 2010

You know, by the book, you're suppose to be very very careful, but more likely than not, you'll be just fine. The only thing that I'd worry about is the vicodine, as daily use is not a good thing, only due to the tylenol content (I'm assuming that you're not taking the schedule 2 pure stuff).

If it seems like it's going to be a chronic situation, I hope that you talk to your doc about an alternative, such as oxycodone, morphine, or methadone, depending on the specifics of the case, and what your doctor has the most experience with.

Good luck to you, and really, don't worry about the interaction - I take methadone and klonopin together and fair fine (a bit sleepy at times). The tylenol however could very well ruin the liver... not a good thing.

let me know what you end up doing - only if your comfortable of course!
sincerely,
Jeff K

Sh1thappns 25 Dec 2010

I mixed both vicodin and Xanax for years and I was fine. Just as long as you dont take more than prescribed you should be fine. I know some doctors wont prescribe both together because you could stop breathing but thats really only if you take to much. The reason doctors are so concerned about prescribing both is because to many people abuse both of those drugs and so many people have over-dosed. So like I said as long as you take the prescribed amount of meds you should be fine.
Have a happy New Year