... add. I have noticed my lips feel numb and swollen, tongue feels heavy,my eyes are watery in the morning... I take as directed before bed... and my muscles feel tight, burning along with some sensations of like electricity in my body. Now I did not notice this when I took the 3 milligram sample which is another color. My doctor had told me when out of 3 milligram sample I could very safely take 3 of the 1 milligram prescribed meds. I have reported all odd symptoms to her and I initially thought it was that the 1 milligrams were just not as effective. As I have never had any allergies I did not realize it was about an allergic reaction. Pharmacist is the one who picked up on that when I shared about mouth issues. He said I am having an allergic reaction and it could be getting worse since I have been taking it for months. Doctor said "NO " IT IS NOT AN ALLERGIC REACTION OR I WOULD BE DEAD. She said it is a sensitivity reaction and to continue taking the lastest prescribed dose of 4 milligrams by taking one of the 1 milligram tablets for 4 days as a method of discontinuing. Not sure about this as just taking oneof the 1 milligram tablets is awful. Half hour after taking just one and the mouth stuff starts. Others have this???
Hi dorarae, I just looked up Intuniv. It warns to seek medical attention right away if you experience rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, SWELLING of the MOUTH, FACE, LIPS,or TONGUE. So look up this drug here @drugs.com to read more. good luck Dave
Your doctor doesn't know what he/she is talking about (nice way of saying it). Your body can build up an allergic reaction by exposure to an allergen over a long period of time. The reactions you are having are definitely signs of an allergic reaction - continued exposure could end up with you wheezing or even not breathing. It may not be the Intuniv (the primary ingredient) you are allergic to - it could be one of many ingredients in the "inactive ingredients". Every medication is different - even different manufacturers of the same medication can vary quite a bit in their inactive ingredients. I would advise you not to take the 1 mg dose at all - it is not worth the risk. Seek out an allergist at a large hospital in your area - the larger they are, the more chances they can test for things that are used often in inactive ingredients. Go to a regional hospital, a teaching hospital, one of the biggies - like Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic - etc. Then you'll know what you are allergic to, and can avoid it. Take the pill bottles, and ingredients listed in both the 3 mg and 1 mg medications - google "pillbox.com" - go to the one by NIH - click on the search on the right and type in the medication name. There you will find out inactive ingredients, by manufacturer. Look for the manufacturer's name on the label of your prescription. If you need help, I have "friended" you here on this site - click on my username and you can ask me a question and I'll give you a hand. Allergic reactions are nothing to mess around with - people die from them. I know - I pretty much have a full time job trying to avoid all the crap I'm allergic to. Best for you to be cautious, and stay alive! -
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 27 Apr 2010 • 2 answers
How can Oppositional Defiant Disorder be a disorder. ? Children always rebel against their parents.?
Posted 12 Jan 2011 • 2 answers
Is trileptal safe for a small 7 yr old weighing 39 lbs. he has oppositional defiant disorder & ADHD?
Posted 12 Nov 2013 • 1 answer
Posted 22 Apr 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 2 Dec 2014 • 2 answers