I have just been diagnosed as having acquired pre-diabetes. I consume abilify. One of the stated side-effects of abilify IS pre-diabetes, which is the precursor to diabetes 2. I am fuming, as I already have high cholesterol, another side effect of this drug. I weigh 119lbs, eat mostly a vegetarian, low-fat diet, and walk five miles per day... so anything to do with my lifestyle is not the culprit. It can only be the drug.
I also take the lowest dosage possible for bipolar 1 of depakote (500mgs). So my question is, has anyone with my condition stopped taking anti-psychotics and relies only on a mood-stabilizer? I am just trying to consider my options, as I don't want to get further into it with the diabetes situation, which will probably happen if I continue to consume this drug permanently.