I had been taking Lexapro I was placed on a generic Fluoxetine. I am not feeling the same. why?

suzanne66 4 Mar 2011

You may not be feeling the same because your medication has been changed.

Lexapro (escitalopram) and Fluoxetine are antidepressants in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
They work in the same way but patients can respond to them differently.

Call your doctor and explain how you are feeling. Your doctor may decide to change you back to Lexapro or alter your dosage.
All the best.

Delila 5 Mar 2011

I agree with this response. Also have you considered that although both medications are in the same category, they have different active ingredients and different side effects. It is quite normal to be feeling 'different'. How long have you been taking the fluoxetine?

Delila 5 Mar 2011