I had a single dose of fluconazole before knowing I was 6 weeks pregnant.Are there any risks?

Rajive Goel 8 Jul 2010

Fluconazole has been categorized as C by the FDA, and this is what I found on the net:

A pregnancy Category C medicine may be given to a pregnant woman if the healthcare provider believes that the benefits to the woman outweigh any possible risks to the unborn child. When treating a vaginal yeast infection, the risks the medication presents to the fetus almost always outweigh the benefits, and a different medication should be chosen. However, for more serious infections, Fluconazole may be appropriate during pregnancy.

However, it would be better to talk to the doctor/pharmacist who prescribed the med, hope this helps?