I had my first general (grand mal) seizure in August of 2009. That was a combination of 3 things; dehydration, heat exhaustion and (the main one) withdraw from Benzodiazepines. I was taking anywhere from 2-6mg of xanax and/or 30-100mg of valium daily just for recreational purposes. Good part is, I'm past that now! That was a low time in my life that I'm not particularly proud of...

Anyway...

I had my second general seizure on the 12th of this month. I hadn't been taking any drugs or doing anything totally out of the ordinary this time. I had some weird spurts where I was like "glitching" it was really weird. I was like... losing half a second of time. It took me a little over 6 minutes to write a 3 line e-mail. Really weird stuff. I text my wife saying that I thought I was having mini strokes or mini seizures or something and I needed some help. She didn't reply so I started walking to where she was, she caught up with me coming the other way and noticed I was walking funny... I was losing just enough time to almost fall but catch myself. She helped me back into the office, she got on the computer and logged onto WebMD.com looking for info on mini seizures. I sat on my other desk since she was in the chair and the next thing I remember is waking up in the elevator on the stretcher with the EMT's. Even then I was really confused for the next several minutes.

They gave me a million blood tests and they all came back normal. I just saw my neurologist today and his exact words were "It's a stone cold normal exam!" so that was really comforting... Not! As soon as I mentioned my little "glitchy" thing he seemed like he knew exactly what was going on. He then mentioned how he as a Neurologist in Texas has to retake his exams every 10 years and he just finished his not too long ago. During his class for a refresher or whatever he saw a case almost exactly like mine except it was a woman and about every 5-7 seconds she would kind of just stare into space and lose herself. She and I were most likely doing the same thing. The common name for it is "Staring Spells" believe it or not. The medical term is "Partial Complex Seizures" they are like little mini seizures that just last a split second. I only had them the 12th-14th. The Doc wants to make sure though by putting me on this medicine called "Lamictal XR" a super safe anti-convulsant. So safe they give it to pregnant ladies.

I go back to see him in 5 weeks to get the results of the next 2 tests he wants me to take. He wants me to get an MRI of my head and an EEG before I see him next. I'm not really sure how much the tests are going to help though. He said that since I'm not epileptic, MRI's have a really small chance of catching what it is that's going on (like 5%-10%) and EEG's are better but not by much. He also told me that 70% of studies in Britain have no clue what causes Partial Complex Seizures. They never found out what caused that lady to have hers either.

So, that's what's been goin on with me so far... Crazy part is, I feel fine! Any thoughts? Anyone?