Thyroidectomy 2 years ago. Is it ok to take L-Tyrosine to help with the opiate withdrawals?

Fishgal 25 Jun 2011

I'm so sorry, I can't help u with that but hopefully someone else can if not already! Good luck;)

LaurieShay 26 Jun 2011

Hey enuf,

I really can't think of any reason that it wouldn't be ok to take the tyrosine when you don't have a thyroid gland. L-tyrosine is simply an amino acid that is used in the synthesis of certain neurotransmitters in the brain and hence why it is believed to elevate mood. Not having a thyroid gland should have little effect on the metabolism of tyrosine.

Hope you are feeling better soon,

Laurie

enuf 26 Jun 2011

Thanks, just wanted to be sure after reading what it said on the L-tyrosine bottle under cautions. I had hyperthyroidism before having it removed.

LaurieShay 26 Jun 2011

Hey enuf,

Have to ask, what did it say under cautions on the bottle? Don't want to miss lead you.

Laurie

enuf 26 Jun 2011

Caution: Persons with thyroid disease (hyperthyroidism), melanoma, or taking MAO inhibitors or other mood altering medications should seek the advise of a physician before consuming this product.

LaurieShay 26 Jun 2011

I think you are ok as your thyroid is removed and your on thyroxine now so you are no longer have hyperthyroidism. Are you taking anyother prescription medications?

enuf 26 Jun 2011

Nothing else other than the lorcet in which as u know I am tapering off of. I actually take Synthroid daily for replacement. Thanks for all of your help.