I have tried it 3 times. Not knowing what was happening to me. The first time there was some mild mood changes (so I thought). The second time, much more but I put it aside thinking I was just having a bad patch and everyone else was having the problem. The third has had me close to death 3 times. My life has become a pit of dispair and in ruins. I have taken this drug from two drs and complained about side effects after the fact. Neither one told me about the side effects of this drug nor did they relate it to taking chantix.My problems always came up AFTER I stopped taking the drug. Has anyone else gone thru this and what helps?
Most common side effects of Chantix included:
* Nausea -- in up to 30% of people
* Insomnia -- up to 19%
* Headaches -- up to 19%
* Abnormal dreams -- up to 13%
* Gas -- up to 9%
* Changes in taste -- up to 8%
* Constipation -- up to 8%.
Other common side effects, occurring in 1 to 7% of people, included:
* Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
* Indigestion or heartburn
* Gastroesophageal reflux disease (also known as GERD or acid reflux)
* Dry mouth
* Fatigue or weakness
* Runny nose
* Increased or decreased appetite.
Weight gain was also a frequently reported side effect, although the exact percentage was not reported. Also, up to 3% of people experienced sleeping problems and irritability when stopping Chantix abruptly.
Some side effects with Chantix, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to the doc. They include but are not limited to:
* Extreme nausea or vomiting
* Difficulty breathing
* Suicidal behavior
* Psychotic, aggressive, or strange behavior
* High blood pressure (hypertension)
* Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, and unexplained swelling.
Rare Side Effects With Chantix
Rare Chantix side effects occur in less than 1% of people taking the drug. Because these side effects are so uncommon, it is difficult to tell whether they are actually caused by the medication or by something else.
Some of these rare side effects include but are not limited to:
* Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
* A spinning sensation (vertigo)
* Thyroid problems
* Dry eyes
* Vision problems, including night blindness
* Stomach ulcers
* High cholesterol
* Sexual problems
* Increased sweating
* Dry skin
* Heart attack
* Strokes or transient ischemic attacks (TIAs).
Tried to list all the side effects so you are aware of the med that your doc prescribed. Unfortunately, there is no way for the doc to know beforehand whether you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. While it may not be a side effect of Chantix, the doc will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.
I was a smoker for over 35 years, & quit it 3.5 years ago, just went 'cold turkey' suffered more then you have listed, try it it could be done, all you need is a powerful willingness to quit the smokes.
Take care, be safe & well, hope could be of some help to you? Do keep me posted.
- Chantix Information for Consumers
- Chantix Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Chantix (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Updated 4 Sep 2013 • 2 answers
Updated 5 Jul 2015 • 3 answers
Updated 28 Nov 2015 • 1 answer
Chantix - Aren't the majority of the side effects people experience the same as those of quitting...
Updated 21 Aug 2017 • 1 answer
Updated 14 Jul 2018 • 2 answers