I am depressed and have anxiety attacks all the time should I take alprazolam?

Rajive Goel 11 Nov 2010

Alprazolam is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines. It works by slowing down the movement of chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced. This results in a reduction in nervous tension (anxiety).

Alprazolam is used to treat anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety caused by depression. It has some potential of abuse.

Would recommend that you do seek advice before you start to take Alprazolam, please take care, be well & above all safe!

Anonymous 11 Nov 2010

Short term use may help you quickly but counseling helps more long term You may need a combo of meds and therapy to get this under control. A low dose of anti depressant will help more with the depression part of it and sometimes you have to try several or go to a little bit higher dose. Personally, after talking to my counselor, she suggested a low dose of prozac, said it controlled anxiety better than most anti d's. It did work pretty well for me, i took a really low dose of generic 10 mgs prozac and it worked really well for me. I don't have the same calmative effect on the extended release or a higher dose, I have to have the NON extended release to get that effect. The benzo you mentioned will work probably at first but people get a tolerance for them and upped the dose and after a while, it can have the opposite effect when you are taking a high dose and for a long time, short term could work tho.