I am about to take shots of methotrexate.What are the side affects, does pain go away?

mik934 4 Dec 2011

Hi Dionica im mickey from chciago and i wanted to comment on your post.. my brother and sister are both on Metrotexate and it has worked great for my brother and has helped alot with his pain and his skin cond as well as his arthritis, you may feel kind sick for a lil while but maybe not, my brother did but it went away in a week. now my sister who is in very bad shape and had 35% body fluid is on it as well because she has 3 diff kinds of arthritis and needs both knees replaced, one hip and both ankles, she responded well to it but then she had some problems in her 2nd week. You see if your on metrotexate you cant have any infections because it will make them worse and now she had to get off of it because it brought out seriouse problems with her bad teeth, the metrotexate brought out the infection in the teeth that were bothering her and you can not have have any infections while on it so the doctor took her off of it untill she get her teeth pulled because she has 2 molers that are bad and the metrotexate made the infectiom worse or brought out the infection and her teeth were killing her so the doc told her get the teeth pulled or fixed and then she can go back on it,, there useing it to try and get all this fluid out of her body so she can get all of her body parts fixed as i mentioned.. hope i could be of some kind of help and this msg made some kind of sense.. Good luck my friend... but my brother said it helps him so much... Mickey from chicago...

Delila 4 Dec 2011

Hi, as this is a new medication, it wouldn't do any harm to research this a bit so you know what to expect. If you type the drug name in at the top of Drugs.com site it will list all of the important info you should know...
In the mean time i have simply copied and pasted the side effects for you, they are as follows...

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to methotrexate:
hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Stop using methotrexate and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
dry cough, shortness of breath;
diarrhea, vomiting, white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
blood in your urine or stools;
urinating less than usual or not at all;
fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
sore throat and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, weakness; or
nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Less serious methotrexate side effects may include:
nausea, vomiting, upset stomach;
dizziness, tired feeling;
headache;
bleeding of your gums; or
blurred vision.

I hope this helps a little?