Hydroxyzine - Does this medication compare to xanax?

chuck1957 12 days ago

Chilli; No but many doctors well start you off with something like this to see how it works for your anxiety, rather than put you right off on Xanax or another benzodiazepine class medication due to the habit forming problems and it being a narcotic these are in two different class of medication but used for many of the same things. Hydroxyzine is like a strong Benadryl. (hydroxyzine) reduces activity in the central nervous system. It also acts as an antihistamine and on the CNS as a sedative. Hope this helps you good luck Chuck1957

G mc 11 days ago

This is a good description from Chuck. I was given hydroxyzine (atarax) to help me sleep on nights when I anticipate that I will have a problem with insomnia. I sleep like a baby with it. I only have to take it as needed, which is an advantage of this particular medication. It doesn't have to build up in your system to be effective.