Hydroquinone - is complete skin bleach a solution to vitiligo patches?

suzanne66 17 Aug 2009

No, Hydroquinone is not a suitable treatment for Vitiligo. Hydroquinone bleaches dark patches of skin. The skin affected by Vitiligo has lost its colour already.

From: https://www.drugs.com/enc/vitiligo.html

Vitiligo is a skin condition in which there is loss of pigment (color) from areas of skin, resulting in irregular white patches that feel like normal skin.
Vitiligo is difficult to treat. Early treatment options include the following:
Light therapy (exposure to controlled intense ultraviolet light in a doctor's office or hospital)
Medicines taken by mouth such as trimethylpsoralen (Trisoralen)
Medicines applied to the skin such as:
Corticosteroid creams
Immunosuppressants such as pimecrolimus (Elidel) and tacrolimus (Protopic)
Repigmenting agents such as methoxsalen (Oxsoralen)
Skin may be grafted or removed from normal areas and placed onto areas of pigment loss.
Several manufacturers produce cover-up makeup or skin dyes to mask vitiligo. Ask your health care provider for the names of these companies.
In extreme cases when most of the body is affected, the remaining pigmented skin may be de-pigmented. This is a permanent change and is a last resort.
It is important to remember that skin without pigment is extremely susceptible to the sun's damaging effects. Be sure to apply a high-SPF sunblock and use appropriate safeguards against sun exposure."

lou111 8 Jan 2011

YES hydroquinone can be used by those suffering from extensive vitiligo as a method to lighten the remaining patches of pigmented skin to create an even skin tone. Always follow the recomendation of a doctor.

lou111 8 Jan 2011

mandysimpkins 30 Dec 2013

Those who have never experienced fighting against vitiligo will probably never understand the pains and sufferings brought by it. After nearly 7 years’ living in nightmare, I wish I could have the opportunity to talk my experience fighting vitiligo to friends who are still struggling with vitiligo. I hope I can help them restore their confidence and get rid of this pain as early as possible. Now the white patches of my neck disappeared, there are only a few white dots left on the face. My disease is basically cured, and I am very cheerful. Here is the information about the hospital that cured my disease:
www vitiligotcm com