Hydroban syrup and Mucinex was given for cough. Does it actually relieve pain?

Windchimes123 15 Feb 2017

Hi Marisol,
If you mean Hycodan than yes it may have a pain relief factor because it contains Codeine.
Codeine is a pain reliever and a cough suppressant.
:-)

MarisolRamirez 15 Feb 2017

Yes I ment hycoban. Thank you I hope it works for my friend he was prescribed to my friend he has cough and pain he is going through radiation and having heavy secretions and pain. He was also given the fenal patch. And also was wondering how soon can this patch be effective?

MarisolRamirez 15 Feb 2017

Windchimes123 15 Feb 2017

The patch takes 24 hours before he will feel any effect.
The people who have patches usually have a short acting pain med prescribed.
You need to start on the lowest dose initially especially if he is opiod naive (New on opioids). There is a greater chance for respiratory depression when first starting it.
Now if he is short of breath and coughing that will be good for him.
The hycodan has the Codeine so hopefully it will help until the patch works.
If he doesn't have sufficient relief within a week make sure he calls the doctor.
Remember I said they start low?
If the Hycodan isn't providing enough relief he should get a short acting rescue med.
One more thing in case they didn't tell him...
All pain meds cause CONSTIPATION!
He needs to be on a stool softener daily and a laxative if no bm in 3 days.
If he is able to increase his water intake he should.
If he didn't get a script than try this...

botta71 15 Feb 2017

I was given this once when I had the flu and it worked great.

chuck1957 15 Feb 2017

Marisol; Yes IF what you have is the Hycodan or a generic brand depending where you like I can't find it the way you have it spelled but many generic companies put their own brand name on them and not always a record of them. But you have the same amount of Hydrocodone 5mg/5ML teaspoonful which is the same amount of Hydrocodone that is in one Vicodin tablet 5/500 if you know what that pain medication is. Do not take more than what the doctor is saying and try to drink extra water to help break up anything in your chest. The wildcat vet answer is great. BUT IT REALLY IS HYDROCODONE IN THIS SYRUP NOT CODEINE but they are cousins Hydrocodone for many is a bit stronger but it is still an opiate as is codeine or morphine no worries all the directions are the same just follow what your doctor has said or you could call the doctor if you in so much pain and see if you can take an ex.strength acetaminophen at the same time because your into much pain. that way you really are taking a Vicoden by taking the APAP/ AND 1 TEASPOON OF THE HYCODAN. GOOD LUCK Chuck1957

chuck1957 15 Feb 2017

Windchime no big deal but I just wanted you to know the if it is Hycodan syrup. this would be Hydrocodone instead of codeine but they would be pretty equal anyway. Sorry Wildcat my confusion again I went by the color of the dot and thought it was you I am so sorry. about my confusion on this. I am bad. Chuck1957 Agin Wildcatvet I well be more careful and sorry for my confusion ladies. Chuck

MarisolRamirez 16 Feb 2017

Thank you so much the dr told us he could use the oxycodone and crush it if in more pain. They were very much helpful. You all have been so helpful to me to understand this medications. He had mouth wash but he is not using it, he says his mouth hurts and he can't open much. He said he has tried all the tricks to open his mouth, bit nothing works.