How will a 2 year old be affected after eating one tablet of Caltrate D?

Anonymous 11 Jul 2010

Hi I think he -she will be ok, how long ago did he-she take it? Keep a close eye... I will give you the list of all the possible side effects , maintain your calm, do not get desperate if you notice anything unusual seek for medical attention ASAP dial- 911 and/or US national poison hotline at 1-800-222-1222

No prescription is required for this med./supplement

BRAND NAME: Caltrate 600, Caltrate 600 Plus D, Caltrate 600 Plus

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Calcium is the fifth most abundant element in the body. Calcium is an important structural component of bone and teeth and also is necessary for the normal function of all muscles (skeletal, heart, and smooth muscles) and nerves as well as the normal clotting of blood. Prolonged, inadequate intake of calcium causes weak bones (osteoporosis). Products containing calcium carbonate are used to increase the intake of calcium in individuals whose diets are low in calcium. The National Institutes of Health recommend 1000 to 1500 mg of calcium per day as part of a regimen to prevent the loss of bone that is associated with aging. Calcium carbonate products contain 40% calcium (absorbable calcium). Therefore, a 1500 mg tablet of calcium carbonate provides 600 mg of calcium.

SIDE EFFECTS: Calcium products rarely cause an upset stomach. However, excessive intake or absorption of calcium may lead to increased levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia) which may cause nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, dry mouth and thirst. Severe hypercalcemia may cause confusion, delirium, stupor and coma.

I hope the little one is fine, and nothig happens..it is not your fault..things like this happen ... from a caring individual... if you can keep me posted... I would like to know please.