How to get relief from withdrawal from opiates?

Anonymous 8 Nov 2011

Hi SHYLOU77,
Please google The Thomas Recipe, tis a diary of sorts, and a list of OTC and RX meds you may need while in withdrawal.
I shall list some of it, you may need Immodium AD (for obvious reasons) Benadryl for sleep, also Melatonin works great (melatonin can be purchased at any pharmacy/supermarket and is all natural).
May I ask, what were you taking, how often, and at what dose? That may help us to answer your question.
Taking hot baths with epsom salts will help with aches and pains, and help with perspiration. Are you perspiring profusely? If so, change your clothing often, and apply anti-perspirant (kind of obvious) and keep a cold pack on your face, 20 mins on, 20 mins off. Use a hot pad for chills.
There are many vitamins that help during the WD process. Try an all purpose vit, and add in magnesium, (not too much or it will aggravate certain WD symptoms, tummy problems of which you need the immodium for) fish oil, potassium, and vitamin D, these will all help.
IF you trust yourself, and are having anxiety issues, speak to your doc about an anti-anxiety med, such as Xanax or Ativan. But use them on a short term basis only, as any benzodiazapine can be addictive.
Please, stay with us, you may need some support at this time!!
Best wishes, and I am an open book about my cold turkey WD off of 180mgs of OxyContin (GASP)!! I took that stuff for ten years, yet not at that dosage. But still... a walk in the park it was NOT!!! You can get through this, I promise!!!
Good luck and fight the good fight!!

Anonymous 8 Nov 2011

Sorry, forgot to address your headache issue, please try Ibuprofen, but take it with a meal, not on an empty stomach!!!

SHYLOU77 8 Nov 2011

I was taking Vicoden 750mg 4 times a day along with Adderal XR 25mg and I have decided to quit everything. I have had back problems for many years so I have been taking these narcotics for 7 years at least on and off. The adderal was just recently added because the dr suggest I have ADD/ADHD. I really want to quit but I have tried this numerous times and to be honest the only reason now is because I can't get my script refilled. I want to feel normal again and these pills are just temporary normalness. I do want to give it a honest attempt this time.

pup6767 8 Nov 2011

Sweetie... I soooo admire u that u were able to do the ct thing. I just couldn't. Especially since my job requires me to be completely on top of it but I do admire u for many other reasons also.
Shylou... if u cannot do what sweetie has suggested there is also the weaning method and the suboxone treatment which many of us r doing here on this site. Many of us could not be in wd's and still function at work.
Whatever u decide we will b here to support u all the way. There is someone here for everyone. Good luck and God Bless...

Anonymous 8 Nov 2011

Hi pup!! I so agree, tapering and Suboxone are both great choices!!
If, however, one can go cold turkey it may be a good choice too. But one needs a fortnight to really get over the physical WD part, then there is the mental part of WD and PAWS to deal with. I could go on and on about this subject, yet will attempt to restrain myself :) !!! LOL

pup6767 8 Nov 2011

How long did it take you total dear sweets... just curious...

Anonymous 8 Nov 2011

Hi pup,
What do you mean by 'total'? Do you mean how long were the WD's or how long was the mental part, PAWS, oh so confused is Lara today!!!
Sorry, just not the sharpest knife in the drawer today!!!
Lara
xoxo

pup6767 8 Nov 2011

I meant both total til u felt completely normal... but I would be interested to know both. The other time I tried to get off of opiates, I thought I had weaned down correctly... man was I wrong... I went into horrible WDs... I think I had diarrhea for 6 weeks..and rhinitis for almost that long... the mental part, though, was what got me... cravings... unbelievable cravings... so I relapsed and here I am again... the smart way... for me anyway... So sweetie... that is what I meant..gotta go to work now...