How old do the pain medicine have to be before its not affective anymore?

mitjason 7 Jan 2010

There was a study done with pain medications during either ww1 or ww2. They used 10 to 20 year old drugs that were kept at the proper temperature and out of light on POW's. I believe that 98% of the narcotics were still effective even after 10 to 20 years. So they remain effective for a long time. Hope this helps!

barbles2413 7 Jan 2010

If you are asking because you need to use it then check the bottle or box if you can not find the expiration date. I you know what pharmacy it came from call them tell them the name the perscription was wriiten for the name of the med maybe they can check the computer find out the date it was despensed and they may keep a log for certain lots of medication I hope this helps

mfpdfibro 8 Jan 2010

I tend to hoard pain medications and stash them for the times that I need it and can't get to the doctor fast enough. My last major "flare up" was from 2003 - 2006 and then just recently this past April. The doctor started prescribing me vicodin in April but by June/July they no longer worked well at all. I was in between appointments and decided to get into my old stash that I hide in the refrigerator for emergencies. I had a weeks worth of Morphine Sulfate ER 100 mg. and took it the week leading up to my next appointment then begged him to put me back on it as I had run out of what I had stashed. I think that as long as you keep it in a dark/cool place it should last many years. I couldn't tell the difference between my stash and the new prescription at all.