How often is seroquel used for migraines?

Anonymous 17 Sep 2010

I have never read or heard seroquel being prescribed for migraine treatment.

I take seroquel now for 5 years, and I am bipolar, seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) is used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, not migraines, actually a side effect from this medication is headaches and it is a common side effect.-

For migraines and migraine prevention I take Topamax (topiramate), and it is a very good drug, also used for the treatment of epilepsy.- Ask your doctor about this medication.-

Take care.-

Psyched 18 Sep 2010

Treejump,
Never. It's an anti-psychotic medication. If you have migraines, you'd need to be prescribed something else.

Anonymous 12 Feb 2012

Hello treejump. Interesting question. I thought awhile and it might help, the Seroquel has a sedative effect and some users take it in the evening or at bedtime because of that reason. So, the possibilty of being sedated,then one might have less stress, anxiety being less, might ease a migraine. Again, if the migraine is/was brought on by either stress or anxiety. Its just my own theory,and just that and nothing to back it up with. Seroquel as was said, is an antipsychotic and prescribed accordingly. Best of health and wishes to you,pledge

Nutmeghan15 13 Oct 2016

Seroquel is actually prescribed for migraines as an off-label use. The reason why is, migraines can be caused by variations in serotonin levels, which Seroquel helps stabilize. For that reason, discontinuing the medication abruptly will for sure GIVE YOU a migraine. You should ween off it as slowly as possible. That's why it's both an indication and a side effect, like antidepressants (can both help and worsen your depression).