How long should one take Dilantin (phenytoin) after brain surgery?

suzanne66 17 May 2011

Phenytoin is a medicine which is used in preventing or treating seizures caused by brain surgery. You are best to ask your specialist how long you are expected to take it for.

Anonymous 17 May 2011

Suzanne is right. Only your doctor can give you this answer.

caringsonbj 17 May 2011

I was on Dilantin if you were put on it because of brain surgery please please take it as many times a day as directed and for the length of time the Dr. ordered, I was on Dilantin for several years, Blood levels should be done to make sure you have just the therapeutic dose in your system, Be sure and see your dentist for checkups, floss, brush your teeth regularly, Dilantin can cause gum problems (swollen bleeding guns called gingival hyperplasia) it's best you know if you don't already so you can ask your dentist for proper dental hygeine in order to keep this at minimum, I was fortunate to be able to have a dentist who watched my gums and made recommendations accordingly. It is a good drug, but it can cause several side effects, ask your doctor or look and ask him to explain to you, you can do well on Dilantin having information and following information towards your benefeit works for you.