How long do you have to be off suboxone before you can take methadone or oxycontin and have it work?

LaurieShay 9 Jan 2012

Depends on the dose of Suboxone you were on, but generally 3 days for the Suboxone to recede from the receptor sites enough to allow the other opiates to seat.

Hrmnee 10 Jan 2012

I have the exact same question. I take 2-4 mgs, a day but usually only 2.

Thor283 10 Jan 2012

You can take a short acting opiate like Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, or even Morphine in 12 hours. I have had to do that more than once since I've been on Sub. You will need a larger than usual dose, and it will wear off faster. You will also not feel a buzz. However, I'm not sure about Methadone. I don't think taking Sub and Methadone close together is a good idea. But I suppose it has been done. If you then need to go back to Sub from Oxy, I suggest you wait until you feel wds, and even then, go back slowly, like 1 mg at a time until you're sure you won't have precipitated wds. This is how I did it and I was fine.

Hrmnee 10 Jan 2012

I will never, no never take Methadone again. It was HELL to get off of!

Thor283 10 Jan 2012

I didn't do well on Mdone neither. In 1997 a PM Doc put me on 110 mg of Methadone to get me off of the 24 Vicodin a day he had put me on. I didn't react well to Methadone. I tapered down to 55 mg a day and couldn't go lower. The wds were too intense and he didn't know about using Clonidine, Baclofen, etc to make the wds milder. So I asked him to switch me back to short acting opiates and I did taper with them. It was very hard, but I did it. I got down to 1 Darvocet a day and couldn't stop taking it because of never ending wds. That was weird. I had detoxed off pain pills 2 other times and nothing like that ever happened. I did finally get off it. But I think it was 2 years later. I don't pretend to know what happened, but I blame it on the Methadone.

Hrmnee 15 Jan 2012

I weaned off of oxy's twice while pregnant, no problem even after 7 years. Then after 3 years on methadone, I couldn't taper,
I would get close, but not off I got down to 20 ngs a day, then I went cold turkey, but after amonrh of hell, I just started 2 mg of sub, but now, new health problems, so who knows if I'll ever get completely off? No, something about taking methadone changed my brain chemistry, and made it so much harder.