How good is metaxalone for lower back pain?

Rajive Goel 19 Jul 2011

Metaxalone is a prescription muscle relaxant used to treat muscle spasms. It is approved for use along with rest, physical therapy, and other treatments to relieve pain from acute (short-term) painful muscle spasms. Metaxalone may be less likely to cause drowsiness and "grogginess," compared to other muscle relaxants.

A muscle spasm is an uncontrollable contraction of a muscle. Muscle spasms can cause pain, tenderness, and stiffness. They are a frequent cause of back pain. Most often, muscle spasms are caused by injury, overuse, or similar problems (like sleeping in a strange position). Metaxalone usually works quite well for these types of muscle spasms.

However, please also double check it with a doc/pharmacist, take care, be well, best wishes.

cmwhouston 19 Jul 2011

metaxalone sucks. i took it for several weeks and it didn't help my back pain at all. somas knock me out so i stick with 1 10mg flexeril when needed. it works best for me