How does smoking cause changes to the lungs which may contribute to copd?

DzooBaby 8 Feb 2012

I answered your other question and gave you a link to the American Lung Association and drugs.com is reviewing it because I sent a link to another website so I wont add the link to this one. Google the American Lung Assoc. they have all kinds of great info on COPD. There is a link to help you review treatments and countless amounts of educational material. There are links and help for smoking cessation too. I think you will find all the info you need on this site. It is a good reputable site with accurate info. I use it for my own patients all the time. Smoking changes the lungs in a few different ways. COPD stands for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It is sometimes known as chronic bronchitis. It is what it says. There have been years of lung changes that caused chronic obstruction which made changes to the lungs and sometimes the heart can be enlarged especially the left ventricle because it has had to work harder to pump blood to the area.

pup6767 8 Feb 2012

Dear Elma... when a cigarette is inhaled the airways... the bronchioles and the arterioles produce mucous to try to rid the lung airways of this toxic substance inhaled. Over much time the mucous reduction increases greatly. The airways... the bronchioles in particular become stiff and hardened with much mucous. The loss in elasticity of the airways then makes it hard to get air out of the lungs. Basically there is an obstruction to get air out of he lungs, hence this is why COPD has the word "obstruction" in it. It is called Chronic Onstructive Pulmonary Disease... because there is an obstruction to air being exhaled. This happens over a long period of time with smoking. With the obstruction of airflow, carbon dioxide gets trapped in the airways because it is so hard for the lungs to get it out. It is a very complicated process and a deadly disease over time. Our bodies' drive to breathe normally is increased carbon dioxide.

Anonymous 8 Feb 2012

Wow guys,I have copd,emphysema,you explained that better than my doctor!c

DzooBaby 8 Feb 2012

We nurses are always better at explaining things than Drs are!

Anonymous 8 Feb 2012

Yes,nurses rock!

Anonymous 9 Feb 2012

Dzoo, I think the main difference 'tween docs and nurses hsn't changed. We are and always will be, patient advocates first.Also, docs won't spend the time to explain to the patients' exactly what the issues and eays to help alleviate. Having worked in ICU forever, I followed the doc to talk to the families and after he/she left,would always have to reiterate his/her explanation and I would answer questions for hours until the family knew just what their loved one was experiencing. That has been my experience with most critical care docs, there are exceptions.

Sweet Hippy