Depending upon the pricing structure & availability of Saxagliptin (Onglyza) the pill should do well in India, as India happens to be perhaps the capital of diabetics.
India is the perhaps the first Asian country where saxagliptin is available, launched by Bristol-Myers Squibb and AstraZeneca.
The Launch of Onglyza will definitely hold a broad market in India. In India with around 51 Million diabetes patients.. India promises to be amongst the most lucrative diabetes markets in the world. In 2011 the total sales of Insulin and Non-Insulin Anti-diabetics reached US$ 448 Million. Although, this represents just a fraction of the global sales.
1) IMARC expects DPP-IV Inhibitors to occupy 17% of the total Non-Insulin Anti-diabetics market by 2015.
2) The total number of diabetes patients in India is expected to reach 87 Million by 2030.
3) Enhanced Medical Infrastructure – Numbers of doctors.
4) Treatment of Chronic disease.
5) Greater Health Insurance coverage.
6) New market in existing white space.
Growth Strategy that should be following:
1) Product development (existing markets, new products)-
Bristol-Myers Squibb tied up with Astra Zeneca to develop compound for type-2 diabetes. In India they have existing market here they come with Onglyza (saxagliptin) as a new product.
2) India is the first Asian country where Onglyza is available.
3) Penetration pricing –In India Onglyza will launch at 1/5th of its price in US. One tablet would be price at Rs 38.
4) Onglyza will directly compete with Merck’s Januvia in India. In comparison with Januvia, Onglyza will get advantage because of its penetrating price.
The notion of diversification depends on the subjective interpretation of “new” market and “new” product, which should reflect the perceptions of customers rather than managers. Indeed, products tend to create or stimulate new markets; new markets promote product innovation.
- Onglyza Information for Consumers
- Onglyza Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Onglyza (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 15 Oct 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 8 Sep 2010 • 2 answers
Posted 9 Mar 2011 • 7 answers
Posted 4 Jan 2012 • 1 answer
Posted 9 May 2012 • 1 answer