How do you taper from Lortab 10-500 after 5 years, successfully and painlessly?

mpvt 13 Apr 2010

To be honest with you, unless you give total control of your hydrocodone to someone else then you will never be able to taper down. After 5 years you are at the very least dependent on the hydrocodone and your body will crave it. So you cannot have any control over them at all.
If you can give control to someone else then sit down with them and work out a timetable with a end date this way you get be ready for your last day. Try and come down slowly and give yourself a couple weeks on each new dose... Good luck... Dave

christineATU 18 Apr 2010

I agree with Dave. I am taking his advice even though I need more surgery in the future. I have a million reasons (excuses) why I need to take more than prescribed. It's a hard addiction to kick. The failure rate is around the 99%. Of course I'm guessing at that number, but you would have to have the will power and strength of Hercules to kick it cold turkey.