General considerations for when and how to take Acetaminophen and hydrocodone bitartrate 500 mg / 2.5 mg include the following:
* It is taken by mouth, typically every four to six hours as needed for pain.
* It is best to take your dosage with food, as this may help reduce stomach upset. Most opioids, including the one in Acetaminophen and hydrocodone bitartrate 500 mg / 2.5 mg, cause stomach upset.
* Be careful not to exceed the maximum recommended daily dose, as this could lead to overdose symptoms or poisoning from the acetaminophen component, which can cause liver failure.
* Acetaminophen and hydrocodone bitartrate 500 mg / 2.5 mg is either taken "as needed" or on a scheduled basis. "As needed" means you will only take a dose if you are experiencing pain (if you are not in pain, you will skip the dose), while "scheduled use" means you should take it on schedule, even if you are not in pain. Most docs prescribe this drug on an "as needed" basis, rather than a scheduled basis.
* For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your dose without the docs approval. Do not suddenly stop taking Acetaminophen and hydrocodone bitartrate 500 mg / 2.5 mg, especially if it has been taken regularly for more than several weeks.
Take care, be safe & well, best wishes.
- Acetaminophen / Hydrocodone Information for Consumers
- Acetaminophen / Hydrocodone Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Acetaminophen / Hydrocodone (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 15 Apr 2014 • 2 answers
Posted 27 Dec 2014 • 4 answers
Posted 29 May 2015 • 2 answers
Posted 11 Feb 2016 • 0 answers
Posted 28 Jun 2016 • 1 answer