How do you feel about the drug klonepin for panic attacks, taken approx. 5-6 years daily?

LaurieShay 13 Mar 2011

Hey tldortch,

If it works don't knock it, is my opinion. I learned along time ago that I had to take medication to survive. I didn't like it at first but none the less it was a matter of life and death and I chose life. If the panic attacks are debilitating and the klonopin works to control them then by all means don't worry about taking it. Your standard of life is important and sometimes we have to do certain things to ensure that standard of living. Make sense?

Now if the panic attacks are not being controlled by the klonopin or you aren't doing anything to learn to control them, then maybe you ought to re evaluate the use of the klonopin. Medication can become a crutch and that is not a good thing. Are you getting any kind of counseling to help you overcome the panic attacks?

Don't want to ramble here, so I think I'll quit before I do. I do wish you the best,

Laurie

Anonymous 13 Mar 2011

Hey Laurie, preach it sistah! I agree with you!
Lara

LaurieShay 13 Mar 2011

Dang girl, did I sound like I was on my soap box, oops. I get carried away sometimes.

Anonymous 13 Mar 2011

Laurie,
You did not sound soap boxy at all !! I just totally agree with you, and am in a silly mood, as usual.
Lara

LaurieShay 13 Mar 2011

You are my most favoritest nut, and I love ya!!

Anonymous 13 Mar 2011

Right back atcha, chickie poo!!!

tldortch 14 Mar 2011

thanks Laurie,and followers, I am researching this drug for my mom. I /am not sure what caused her to lose herself and be prognosed as dementia, but whatever caused it, and she was in a demented state for a period of time, it is important to her to find out what happened. she was on this drug for about 5 years for panic attacks and it did become a crutch. It was the time of day she looked forward to , like taking a drink it relaxed her. she had miraculously recovered, she can walk some, doesn't wear the diapers , and feeds and clothes herself again. a blessing . and she is back to being my best friend again. I'll do anything to keep her this way. thanks again, Terri

LaurieShay 14 Mar 2011

Hey tldortch,

Didn't realize we were talking about an elderly patient being on Klonopin. Klonopin needs to be administered at lowest doseage and patient watched carefully if given to an elderly person. Guess this is old news now, but I am glad that your momis doing better and I hope that she continues to function better without the klonopin. Is she klonopin free now? Do be very careful by taking her off the klonopin slowly if she is not and the doctor decides to take her off all together.

Good luck and wishing you both continues health and happiness together,

Laurie