How common is weight gain when taking lithium?

Psyched 18 Sep 2009

Flk,
Since lithium is a salt, if you're gaining weight, it's probably due to water retention. If you eat a lot of salt and drink a lot of fluids, then you run the risk of decrease the lithium retention; if you decrease your salt and fluid intake, then you run the risk of retaining too much lithium. I'd suggest talking to your doctor about the weight gain and see what he/she thinks. Lithium is one of those kinds of drugs that has to stay at just the right level in your body for it to work properly. Good luck.

anglwitch6090 24 Sep 2009

My total weight gain was only 8 lbs. 5 when I was first put on, 3 when we upped my dose. Well worth it for the amount of good it did me.

cindyboykin 15 Oct 2009

I've been on lithium a little over a year and I haven't gained anything except a lot more "GOOD" days!!!