How can you minimize stomach pain due to gleevec therapy?

Rajive Goel 12 Jul 2010

Drink a large glass of water when taking the med, do not take the med on an empty stomach, if you still feel that the stomach pain has not minimized it is recommended to talk to the doc who prescribed the med as he/she would know your medical history and would help, you could however read more details on: https://www.drugs.com/gleevec.html, hope this helps?

anted 14 Jul 2010

thank you so much for your response. This too is all new to us and we don't know where to turn for answers. Gleevec is being used to treat GIST on adrenal glands and hormones(cortisol) is also up and down.

Rajive Goel 14 Jul 2010

Welcome, I tried to answer you question, hope it was helpful?

dee145 26 Aug 2010

I have a routine with taking mine. I take Zofran (nausea pill) about a hour before I am going to eat and then I eat and drink water and then I take my gleevec and then I eat a yogurt afterwards. i have a yogurt with every meal that i take my Gleevec with. Some one else told me about this and it work's for me but I can't take the pill with out Zofran or I get sick and it's been a year for me.

sprangtj 23 Aug 2010

I had this same problem when I took Gleevec. I had to have 3 upper gi's while on it in 21/2 yrs. It made the bottom of my stomach raw the Doc said. He put me on Previcid 30 mg. morning & night. That seemed to be the thing that worked. I made sure that I took the Gleevec after a meal. I had to eat small meals because the Gleevec would make me feel bloated & nauseated. I just had to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 large ones. Talk to your Doc, mine ended up sending me to a Gastroenterologist. Hope this helps!

anted 23 Aug 2010

thank you. I will pass this information to my mother in law. So far she seems to be handling the drug well. If you don't mind... are you taking Gleevac for
GIST tumors in your adrenal glands?

sprangtj 24 Aug 2010

No, I have Chronic Myloid Leukemia. I took Gleevec for 2 1/2 years. I now take a newer drug called Sprycel. I had low platelet, & iron counts. The Gleevec became toxic-or as the Docs said it worked to well. It was killing not only the leukemic white blood cells but the good ones also. Doesn't happen with everyone. It's a good drug & works well with most folks. Wish u luck!