How can I overcome my bipolar disorder it is destroying mylife completly?

Delila 12 Dec 2011

Can i ask a couple of questions??? How long have you been diagnosed? Are you on medication, if so how long have you been taking it?

norhan 14 Dec 2011

i have been diagnosed since 2008 i used 2 take zyprexa but i dun have schizophrenia it was just like a mood stabilizer for me but i stopped it and nw i take leponix

nucproff 12 Dec 2011

Ditto to the other post, how long?, and any medication yet? On with some helpful useful advise or suggestions if you will allow.

slattery 12 Dec 2011

That's a tough question, as everyone here will probably have their own unique coping mechanisms for dealing with this condition. Plus since there are so many variations to this illness - some people get a little bit too manic, other people get a little bit too depressed, some people get agitated and angry... well, where to begin.

Anonymous 13 Dec 2011

Kathleen, that was a wonderful answer. It has even helped me today, & I don't usually get too down & depressed, but lately have been finding with the health issues & the holidays coming on fast, it's all getting to be too much. You are a very wise person, & gave great dvice...

Anonymous 13 Dec 2011

That was advice, not dvice. Sorry for the typos.

Fibro5077 13 Dec 2011

Slattery,
That was a great answer. That was exactly what I was going to say. I have found an excellent psychiatrist. I would be lost without my therapist. Mostly though, I know for me, is the right combination of meds. I take Abilify, Cymbalta, Seroquel, and Lamictal, and I can tell you, if I miss a dose of Abilify, watch out. My mood will slide so quickly. I get suicidal and very emotional. Abilify is the best med out there I think. Norhan have you ever tried Abilify or Lamictal? They are both mood stabilizers and I personally think they work great.

kytteneyes 13 Dec 2011

You will need the following:
1. psychiatrist - one that you can be a team player as well
2. combination of meds - meds for the rest of your life; some can manage without but it takes time for you to understand everything about bipolar first.
3. mood chart/journal - mood chart to share with psych and therapist as well as to help you learn your patters and triggers. Journaling to help find what your triggers are to cause you to go up or down.
5. therapist - to help you learn all about bipolar, triggers, and how to deal with them.
6. support groups - to meet others who deal with the same issue as yourself. You can also meet others to form a good support system for you.
7. support - from family too.
8. research - equals knowledge the more you know the more power you have to stay stable with the right combination of the above.
Please remember to be patient, kind, loving, forgiving to yourself as well.