Hizentra - any suggestions for significant local skin reaction? Heating pad, ice, benadril cream??

kathyhanson 16 Oct 2013

Hi new2sqif and welcome to the site! I have been getting Hizentra weekly for a couple of years, but have received IgG infusions of some kind since 2004. There are a few things you can do to ease the localized skin reactions. First, once you remove the needles and put a band aid on the sites, very gently massage the areas. It will hurt a little, but will help the Hizentra to disseminate under the skin. Secondly, ice packs help with the swelling and redness. Third,You should talk to your doctor about taking Benadryl before your infusion, as it helps with these side effects. Lastly, if you form hard nodules under the skin at the infusion sites that remain for weeks to months, ask your doctor to increase the number of infusion sites for you. I had to go from 3 to 4 and I no longer get the nodules. I hope this has helped you.
Best wishes,
Kathy

new2sqif 28 Oct 2013

thanks so much. I used heat instead of ice for the swelling and it helped. I also used Benadryl cream instead of taking a pill (which makes me so sleepy) and it helped. thanks you for your suggestions and support.