I am on Hizentra and would like to know if shingles immunization is contra indicated?

kaismama 4 Jan 2013

It is contraindicated in someone who is immunosuppressed. I would talk to my dr if I were you.

DeMott 17 Jun 2013

I had a shingles shot when I was on Hizentra and I broke out with Hives everywhere.

kathyhanson 17 Jun 2013

I don't know about the shingles immunization particularly, but my oncologist/hematologist told me I cannot have any live virus immunizations.

endlessPred 17 Jun 2013

While receiving this medication you are not to be exposed to any live vaccine. Shingles vaccine is a live vaccine. Flu vaccines come in live and dead. All childhood vaccines are also contraindicated. And your condition itself, prevents one from receiving any live vaccine.

Be sure to ask your physician before you receive a flu vaccine as well.

Sorry about the shingles vaccine. I have been going through their effects for four months now. I am on prednisone for eight years and counting. Medium to high dose. Assuming you had chicken pox as a child, you are vulnerable but not destined. Stay away from young children who have received live vaccines, especially toddlers and babies if they have received a vaccine. It is fair to ask. That is all I can think of right now. Stay well, Karen