Hi everyone, I am a 35 year old male, and I have recently been struggling with high blood pressure, to the point where my doctor prescribed hydrochlorothiazide after visiting the office and having a reading around 155/95. I initially made the appointment because my blood pressure was around the 155/100 range a few days prior to that time.

Starting from the day that I found out that I have high blood pressure, I have been noticing all of these weird sensations in my upper left chest and around my heart, including fluttering sensations, feelings of pressure, and even minor pains or discomfort. The sensations in my chest come fairly randomly, and don't really correlate with exercise or anything else, and sometimes I won't notice them for hours at a time.

Prior to this doctor's appointment, I had not noticed any of these types of symptoms, and I have been going to the gym 3-4 days a week and doing 45 minutes of cardio on the elliptical. I do suffer from OCD, and I tend to have a lot of health related obsessions, and I know that chest pains and related symptoms can be from anxiety. However, these symptoms have been terrifying me, and I am convinced that I have severe heart damage and am in imminent danger of having a heart attack. Given the fact that all of these symptoms seemed to have started after finding out I have high blood pressure, the rational part of my brain tells me that it's purely anxiety related, but I also begin to doubt it and think "maybe I did have symptoms and just didn't pay attention" and other similar thoughts.

I have been monitoring my blood pressure since then (my doctor's appointment was a little over a week ago, but I only started taking the meds yesterday) and it tends to hover around 150/100, with spikes of 165/108 or so. The irony, of course, is that all of my worrying is likely to make my blood pressure go up, especially since the past few weeks have been particularly stressful anyway (I work in a very high stress internship, finished up my finals at grad school and then had graduation with friends and family in town).

I guess I'm wondering at what point is there legitimate concern that these symptoms are actually related to heart disease, and whether I should call my doctor ASAP I am meeting with him again in a month, but the worry and anxiety is taking over my life. At the same time, I'm also afraid to call him and ask him the questions because I worry they'll think I'm "crazy', or whatever. I really can't seem to find anything online about how long it takes for severe heart disease to actually develop, probably because it differs for everyone, but I have managed to convince myself that having borderline high blood pressure for a couple of years and then this level of high blood pressure for six months or so (at my doctors appointment in September I had a reading of 138/88, I believe) is enough to push me into imminent heart attack range. I have convinced myself that having a diastolic pressure that reaches into the 105/108 range is particularly dangerous, especially after reading that it's more alarming to have higher diastolic numbers when you are younger.

I apologize for the long message, but I've been terrified about this for the past week or so. I am continuing to go the gym, and I've been adding ten-fifteen minutes of meditation into my daily routine, using an app to guide me.

Thanks for any help and support you all can provide!